Sunday, January 14, 2024

So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

1 Corinthians 13

So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians, moving on to a unassisted review of 1 Corinthians 13. Paul builds on his discussion of spiritual gifts in chapter 12 by zeroing in on the importance of love as a motive to exercise these gifts.  We know from Matthew 22:34-40 that the greatest commands God gives us are to love Him and then to love others as "[o]n these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.

  • Vv1-3: none of the gifts described in chapter twelve have any value if not used in love of God or others.
  • Vv4-7: Paul describes attributes of love so we know it when we see it.
  • Vv8-10, 12: An attribute of love that is emphasized with its own three lines of scripture is how it is forever vs the spiritual gifts that are temporary during believers' lives in this life (vs in Heaven)
  • V11 seems a bit out of place as a description of how we are called to spiritual maturity
  • V13 underscores the importance of love in our relationship with Jesus and others - above faith and hope - as we don't have faith and hope in something we don't love.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who I know loves me and never stops loving me and will never leave or forsake me.  Thank You Jesus for how You love me and while I was hostile to You.  I am not deserving of such love and blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.