Saturday, January 20, 2024

But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases[.]

 Lamentations 3

But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases[.]  Lamentations 3:21-22

This morning, I pause my study of 1 Corinthians to use DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today looks at how hope predicates itself on constant reminders of God's promises and how God is faithful in delivering upon these promises.  Drawing upon Lamentations 3:21-22 where Jeremiah shares how he has hope because of God's unceasing love. John Piper shares that both Peter and Paul (see also 2 Peter 1:13, Romans 15:15) used letters to remind believers in the power of God's promises.  Reminders of God's promises are found in daily study of God's Word and in prayer.  Piper points out that the Holy Spirit helps here as well as he shares: "[t]he main Helper in reminding us what we need to know is the Holy Spirit (see also John 14:26)...The mind has this great power: It can talk to itself by way of reminder....If we don’t “call to mind” what God has said about himself and about us, we languish....Without reminding ourselves of the greatness and grace and power and wisdom of God, we sink into brutish pessimism (see also Psalm 77:11-12, 22)."  

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - giving me access to the Holy Spirit that aids, comforts and provides reminders for me of God's promises - so that I can remain hopeful.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and blessing.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.