Friday, January 19, 2024

Rendering service with a good will as to the Lord and not to man, knowing that whatever good anyone does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether he is a bondservant or is free.

Ephesians 6

Rendering service with a good will as to the Lord and not to man, knowing that whatever good anyone does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether he is a bondservant or is free. Ephesians 6:7-8

This morning, I pause my study of 1 Corinthians to use DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today looks at working for "bad" bosses.  John Piper provides five things to help believers in these environments:

  1. "A call to radically Lord-centered living...This means that we will think of the Lord in what we are doing at work. We will ask, Why would the Lord like this done? How would the Lord like this done? When would the Lord like this done? Will the Lord help me to do this? What effect will this have for the Lord’s honor? In other words, being a Christian means radically Lord-centered living and working."
  2. "A call to be a good person...Piper refers us to Matthew 5:16 where Jesus says that we are to let others see Jesus in us and that brings glory to God."
  3. "Power to do a good job for inconsiderate earthly employers....Piper shares that we are to stop thinking about your boss as your main supervisor, and start working for the Lord. Do this in the very duties given to you by your earthly supervisor."
  4. "Encouragement that nothing good is done in vain"....Piper elaborates: "Every little thing you do that is good is seen and valued and rewarded by the Lord.  And he will pay you back for it. Not in the sense that you have earned anything — as if you could put him in your debt. He owns you, and everything in the universe. He owes us nothing. But he freely, graciously chooses to reward us for all the good things done in faith."
  5. "Encouragement that insignificant status on earth is no hindrance to great reward in heaven"...concluding on this point, Piper shares that "your supervisor may think you are a nobody — a mere bondservant, so to speak. Or he may not even know you exist. That doesn’t matter. The Lord knows you exist. And in the end no faithful service will be in vain." 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and love...helping me in all challenges in life by giving me power, peace, joy, patience, etc.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You love me.  My sins are great and they are daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sins towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.