Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry.

1 Corinthians 10

Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry. 1 Corinthians 10:14

After a long pause, I return to my study of 1 Corinthians, picking up with unassisted review of 1 Corinthians 10:14-22. Here Paul warns believers about the influences of idolatry, and he uses the Israelites in the wilderness (vv6-11) as an example.  Paul does not want us to succumb to such temptations and he points us to God as faithful (v13) in His ability to help us escape idolatry in our efforts to flee.  A line-by-line review of the text for today:

  • v14: leaning on God, we should flee from idolatry
  • v15: as a setup to the verses that follow - vv16-22, Paul appeals to our powers of reason to follow his thoughts using once again the Israelites as an example
  • v16: the communion we share - eating of bread and drinking of wine (see 1 Corinthians 11) - is something where we share in the body and blood of Christ
  • v17: "because" there is only one bread, all who partake in the bread are of the same one body
  • v18: likewise, those in Israel in the wilderness who ate the sacrifices are all of the same body
  • v19: many Corinthians felt that because idols were not real allowed them to be sinful with regard to eating food offered to idols, implicitly embracing idolatry
  • v20: Paul warns us to avoid to idolatry by partaking in pagan worship through close association with others that do so
  • v21: Paul is even more clear by stating that we cannot worship both God and demons - be clear about the choices you make and how they associate you with idolatry/sin
  • v22: avoid provoking/testing God - He of course reigns and will deal with us harshly lest we provoke God like the Israelites in the wilderness did

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - providing me with the full armor of God to protect me in my battle against sin.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings and grace. My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.