Monday, January 8, 2024

Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty concerning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup.

1 Corinthians 11:17-34

Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty concerning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 1 Corinthians 11:27-28

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians, moving on to a unassisted review of 1 Corinthians 11:17-34.  Here, Paul provides commands about appropriate heart posture when partaking of the Lord's Supper or communion.  A review of the text:

  • Vv17-18: Paul opens with an admonishment of the Corinthian church, as they are divided (see also 1 Corinthians 1)
  • Vv19-22: It appears that some among the Corinthian church approached communion in an unholy manner, viewing it as a meal to consume and enjoy vs a sacred ritual where we remember Christ's death on the cross and unite as a church body in such remembrance
  • Vv23-26: v23b-25 in particular are often used by churches today during communion
  • Vv27-33: Paul further elaborates on how believers are to be careful to avoid participating in  communion in an "unworthy manner"; key is to focus on an examination of our heart condition - as Paul describes "discerning the body" which implies recognition of the church and the importance of unity both with Christ and the other members of the church

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - thank You Jesus! I am not deserving of such grace and compassion. My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.