Saturday, January 6, 2024

For a man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God, but woman is the glory of man. For man was not made from woman, but woman from man. Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man.

1 Corinthians 11:2-16

For a man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God, but woman is the glory of man. For man was not made from woman, but woman from man. Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 1 Corinthians 11:7-9

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians, moving on to an intended unassisted review of 1 Corinthians 11:2-16. However, a reading of this caused an inordinate amount of struggle to discern God's message, so I leaned on this post from John Piper, which shares that "[i]t becomes clear then that the issue of 1 Corinthians 11:2–16 is secondarily head coverings but primarily the preservation of God-given distinctions between man and woman in the way they relate to each other. The head covering is culturally relative." Vv7-9 are key, followed by vv11-12: 

Nevertheless, in the Lord woman is not independent of man nor man of woman; for as woman was made from man, so man is now born of woman. And all things are from God.

John Piper highlights these verses: "verses 11–12 warn against a misunderstanding. Men should not be arrogant nor women disconsolate, for both are indispensable and interdependent and sustained by God."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who provides mercies that are new every morning and who provides for all needs.  Thank You Jesus for Your compassion and mercy and for Your provision.  I am not deserving of such love and grace.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength. Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.