Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone.

1 Corinthians 12:1-11

Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone. 1 Corinthians 12:5-6

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians, moving on to a unassisted review of 1 Corinthians 12:1-11. Here, Paul helps us understand how God and the Holy Spirit distribute and move in believers' lives with spiritual gifts. 

  • Vv 1-3: Paul seeks for us to be "informed" about spiritual gifts; some in the Corinthian church were led astray about this topic - perhaps on the topic of teaching or prophesying.  He reinforces how God alone and the Holy Spirit distribute and work in believers' hearts and lives to both give and direct spiritual gifts.  
  • Vv4-6: Paul is explicit and states emphatically that all spiritual gifts are from God who "empowers them all in everyone."
  • V7: In constructing his case, Paul starts with foundational doctrine - that the Holy Spirit is present in the lives of all believers ("to each is given...") who call Christ their Lord and Savior.  Galatians 5:22-23 help us understand how we see "fruits of the Spirit."  This is given for the "common good" which is for the healthy functioning of the church and its members working together as a body.
  • Vv8-10: Examples of spiritual gifts are described, including "wisdom, knowledge, faith, healing, working of miracles, tongues, interpretation of tongues, etc."
  • V11: The Holy Spirit both "apportions to each one" and "empowers" each one to use these gifts.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - giving me spiritual gifts and equipping me so that I can work for the common good both inside the church and in the world. Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving how You work in my heart and life.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.