Saturday, January 27, 2024

Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.

Matthew 6

Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. Matthew 6:31-32

I pause my study of 1 Corinthians to study DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys Daily devotional, which today, looks at how God knows all of our needs, knows our heart, and desires to provide for all of our needs.  John Piper shares how he is a father himself, albeit of course an earthly father, and this does not compare with our heavenly Father.  With this comparison, Piper describes three ways his knowing does not compare to our heavenly Father:

  1. He does not know where his children (grown) are in the present
  2. He does not know what is in their heart at this current moment
  3. He does not know their future 

On the other hand, Piper describes how our heavenly Father DOES know us: "He knows everything about us, where we are, now and tomorrow, inside and out. He sees every need.  Add to that, his huge eagerness to meet our needs. Remember the “much more” of Matthew 6:30, “If God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you?” Add to that his complete ability to do what he is eager to do (he feeds billions of birds hourly, around the world, Matthew 6:26)."  

We are urged to trust "the promise of Jesus to meet our needs."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and I know You provide for all of my needs, physical, emotional, and spiritual, and I have no cause for worry.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You love, bless and provide for me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.   Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.