Friday, March 22, 2024

And this is his commandment, that we believe in the name of his Son Jesus Christ and love one another, just as he has commanded us.

1 John 3

And this is his commandment, that we believe in the name of his Son Jesus Christ and love one another, just as he has commanded us. 1 John 3:23

I resume my study of 1,2,3 John using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for these books.  Today, my focus is an unassisted review of 1 John 3:18-24.  Here, John builds his discussion of how we are to love one another - our brothers and sisters in Christ...and to do this not just in words but in actions. We are comforted in knowing that despite how we will not be perfect in our pursuit of obedience, but that when we fall short (and we will), we will not be condemned (see also Romans 8:1) for this despite the wages of sin being death (Romans 6:23) - this is the emphasis of vv19-21.  Our confidence extends beyond freedom from condemnation to God interceding on our behalf and responding to our prayers - v22.  We should be careful how we interpret this text because this does not mean we get anything we ask of God - no.  We must first abide in Him and Him in us - see v24. If we are in Him and Him in us (see also John 15 and discussion of how God is the Vine and believers are the branches), our asks of God will be in alignment of His will for us - see also Romans 12:2 how God transforms and renews our mind to understand His will for us. Abide in Jesus!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are good and perfect and I know that You hear and respond to all of my prayers and that I can approach You in confidence knowing this.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of this blessing nor any blessings You pour out for me or my salvation.  My sin is great and it is daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.