Thursday, March 14, 2024

Therefore strong peoples will glorify you; cities of ruthless nations will fear you.

Isaiah 25

Therefore strong peoples will glorify you; cities of ruthless nations will fear you. Isaiah 25:3

Today, I pause once again my study of 1,2,3 John using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for these books to use DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotional, where today John Piper seeks to encourage those who may be feeling as though their work in service to God may be in vain - for whatever the reason.  Piper uses Isaiah 25:3 where Isaiah prophecies final days (Revelation 21) where we see the New Heaven and the New Earth and the New Jerusalem - where all of God's people are with God forever in perfect harmony.  Believers should all know that this victory over sin and death is already won - through Christ's death on the cross and His resurrection - but these final days represent the fullness of this victory.  We should have confidence that this victory is already won and that we will be with God as Isaiah prophecies because God keeps His promises (see post yesterday). John Piper concludes the devotion by encouragement for those feeling as though they are working in vain: "[n]ot one life spent in the cause of world evangelization is spent in vain. Not one prayer or one dollar or one sermon or one letter of encouragement or one little light shining in some dark place — nothing in the cause of this advancing kingdom is in vain."  Press on - continue running the race with endurance!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, Yes - You have already defeated sin and death and we can be confident of our salvation and being with You in Heaven for eternity.  What a glorious thing this will be!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of my salvation - the greatest gift of all time.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.