Sunday, March 24, 2024

We are from God. Whoever knows God listens to us; whoever is not from God does not listen to us. By this we know the Spirit of truth and the spirit of error.

1 John 4

We are from God. Whoever knows God listens to us; whoever is not from God does not listen to us. By this we know the Spirit of truth and the spirit of error. 1 John 4:1-6

I resume my study of 1,2,3 John using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for these books.  Today, my focus is an unassisted review of 1 John 4:1-6.  Here John warns us against false prophets (vv1,3) - we are also given a litmus test to determine how someone is a false prophet - if you do not confess that Jesus Christ (the Messiah) has come in the flesh is not from God (v3).  John also provides a "test" or criterion to determine if someone is of God - see v2. For believers, those from God, John provides encouragement: v4 shares how "he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world." John then shares how the false prophets are "from the world" and and they speak of worldly things and the "world listens to them (v5)."  V6 closes the text for today with John sharing that the apostles are "from God" - see also above criteria - and how those who know God listen to them - yet another criterion.  Nothing has change since John wrote this letter - false prophets abound - beware!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are the One True God and You are Truth and Light - thank You for Your Word and for the many teachers and resources You provide for me to better understand Your message for me.  I am grateful for these many teachers and resources.  I am undeserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.