Sunday, March 10, 2024

I began to weep loudly because no one was found worthy to open the scroll or to look into it. And one of the elders said to me, “Weep no more; behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has conquered, so that he can open the scroll and its seven seals.”

 Revelation 5

 I began to weep loudly because no one was found worthy to open the scroll or to look into it. And one of the elders said to me, “Weep no more; behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has conquered, so that he can open the scroll and its seven seals.” Revelation 5:4-5

This morning, I pause once again my study of 1,2,3 John using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for these books to use DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotional, which today offers believers a glimpse of the final days and Heaven from Revelation.  John writes how he is distraught about how the scroll with seven seals cannot be opened because there is no one worthy.  But one of the elders tells John that Jesus is able.  John Piper shares how, "[b]y dying on the cross, Jesus had earned the right to open the remainder of redemptive history and lead his people victoriously through it...So, now the Lamb is worthy to take the scroll of redemptive history from God’s hand and open it. This is such a kingly act that the twenty-four elders of heaven (God’s worship council, as it were) fall down before the Lamb in adoration."  Piper not only wants us to see this picture of Jesus victorious over sin and death in Heaven, worshiped by all creation, he also wants us to see how God is pleased by the pleasant aroma of the saints' prayers in v8 as he shares that "[he is] strengthened and encouraged to pray all the more often and all the more vigorously when [he] thinks that [his] prayers are being assembled and stored up in heaven and offered to Christ repeatedly in heavenly acts of worship." We are encouraged to rejoice and God's victory, know that the victory is already won on our behalf, and to keep praying!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, I am strengthened by knowing You have already won the victory over sin and death - for me and all believers.  I am also strengthened and encouraged by how You hear and enjoy our prayers as pleasantly smelling incense.  Thank You for the strength and encouragement You provide with my salvation, Your Word, etc.  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.