Sunday, March 3, 2024

To this end we always pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of his calling and may fulfill every resolve for good and every work of faith by his power[.]

 2 Thessalonians 1

To this end we always pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of his calling and may fulfill every resolve for good and every work of faith by his power[.] 2 Thessalonians 1:11

I pause my study of 1,2,3 John this morning to listen to DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotional, which today highlights how God works through our will and resolve to demonstrate His power.  John Piper warns believers that we should not be passive in our battle against sin and to obediently do good works. Piper shares: "The engagement of God’s power never takes the place of the engagement of our will! The power of God in sanctification never makes us passive! The power of God engages itself beneath or behind and within our will, not in place of our will....When you sit back to do nothing, you are not doing nothing. You are actively engaging your will in a decision to sit back."  Piper refers us to scripture as a means for us to more fully comprehend his message, including 1 Timothy 1:18, James 4:7, Hebrews 12:14, Romans 8:13.  We are encouraged to actively engage our will and our resolve and is only then that we see God working to give us what we need.  Piper goes on to share that "God will never appear with power in your will in any other way than through your exercise of that will; that is, through your good resolves — your good intentions and plans and purposes."  Piper concludes by referring us to Luke 13:24 where Jesus tells us to strive, and Philippians 2:13 yet another way of using our own will and resolve and how God then works through us in those efforts.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who gives me what I need - in all things.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You provide, guide, etc. My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.