Wednesday, March 20, 2024

For this is the message that you have heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.

1 John 3

For this is the message that you have heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 1 John 3:11

I resume my study of 1,2,3 John using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for these books.  Today, my focus is an unassisted review of 1 John 3:11-18. Here, John dives right into the second greatest commandment as given to us by Jesus - to love one another (see Matthew 22:34-40).  We are given the biblical negative example of Cain from Genesis 4, where Cain, driven by envy, killed his brother.  Then, in v13 we are told not to be surprised if the world hates us as believers - the world (those not children of God - children of God bear the image of God and follow/obey God) loves itself and created things first and not God first.  As such the world does not love as God loves and there is no Holy Spirit for the world - so of course the world will want to hate and persecute Christians.  But we as believers, per v14 we have life and this is marked by our love of God first then for others.  Hate - even in our heart - per v15 is murder itself and contrary to love and this is a marker of being of the world and a lover of the world vs God. A positive example of love is provided in v16 where we know love because of what Jesus did - he died for us! A negative example of love is provided in v17 where we see that we are not obeying God or abiding in Him if we see a brother or sister in Christ in need but we don't help them.  This commandment is carried over into v18 where John shares that we should not be seen as hypocrites by talking about love but not doing it - similar to a message in James 1

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, I KNOW You laid down Your life for me and that You love me - and that You ask that we love You and love others.  Help me grow in my love for You and others - please help me with obedience to You.  I am grateful for the blessing of being a child of God but I need Your help - every day as my sin continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.