Monday, March 18, 2024

By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother.

1 John 3

By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother. 1 John 3:10

I continue my study of 1,2,3 John using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for these books.  This morning, my focus is a commentary-assisted review of 1 John 3:4-10. 

Per the commentary for this text:

Main idea: "Jesus Christ came to redeem and renew sinners by paying the penalty of sin and defeating the Devil."

Excerpts from the commentary introduction:

  • The text includes two core elements of doctrine, that (1) Jesus came to take away our sins (v3:5), and (2) destroy the works of the devil (v3:8). Both are captured by scripture elsewhere (1 Corinthians 15:54, Isaiah 25:8, Hebrews 2:14-15) that shares how these victories are already won through Jesus' death on the cross and His resurrection.
  •  The practice of sin is inconsistent with being a child of God. 
  • John seeks to address "falsely assured non-Christians" by "shock[ing] and wak[ing] them up to their true spiritual status."

Divisions per the commentary: 

  1. He Came to Deliver Us from Sin (3:4-6): "Sin is the great enemy and problem of humanity, and only God can rescue us and solve our problem." Sin is rebellion against God and it is inescapable that it is habitual for all of us. Thus we all need to be saved from this "predicament." Jesus is the perfect sinless sacrifice that dies once and for all of humanity over the course of redemptive history.  It logically follows that if we truly abide in Him, we do not practice sin. "Sin no longer dominates us or enslaves us. Sin is no longer the character and conduct of my life. Because I now abide in Christ and in the power of His person and work in the gospel, I may fall into sin, but I will not walk in sin. Sin will not be my habit; it will not be my normal practice. I no longer love sin; I hate sin. I no longer delight in sin; I despise sin."
  2. He Came to Destroy the Works of the Devil (3:7-8): Beware of false teachers who goad us into sin.  If we abide in Him we are armed (see Ephesians 6) with the ability to defend ourselves against sin and false teachers.  Christ lives in us - animating our obedience (Galatians 2:19-20).
  3. He Came to Demarcate the Children of God (3:9-10): "By means of the new birth, sin’s power has been neutralized and dealt a death-blow. And, by virtue of His two appearings, sin’s presence will soon pass away forever....Regeneration does not produce invisible or rotten fruit. If anyone is in Christ, he or she is a new creation and all things become new (see also 2 Corinthians 5:17)." As children of God we have new birth; as children of God we do not practice sin; we love one another. "This is what our God does. This is what His children will do. You see, the child has the distinguishing marks of his parents. What he sees his Father do, that is what he will do. What he sees His Savior do, that is what he will do too."

Comment and discuss this post

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for willingly going to the cross so that I could have life - to the full now, and for eternity.  I am not deserving of Your sacrifice.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.