Tuesday, March 19, 2024

For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God[.]

1 Peter 3

For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God[.] 1 Peter 3:18

Today, I pause my study of 1,2,3 John using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for these books to lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today - courtesy of John Piper - provides "a summary of the gospel to help [us] understand it and enjoy it and share it!"  Piper outlines the gospel as follows, with included scripture references:

  1. God created us for his glory - see also Isaiah 43:6-7.
  2. Therefore, every human should live for God's glory; we must love God, trust Him, be thankful to Him, obey Him, and treasure Him above all things - see also 1 Corinthians 10:31, Matthew 22:37, Romans 4:20, Psalm 50:23, Matthew 5:16, Philippians 3:8, and Matthew 10:37.
  3. Nevertheless we have all sinned; [n]one of us has loved or trusted or thanked or obeyed or treasured God as we ought. - see also Romans 3:23, Romans 1:21-23.
  4. Therefore we all deserve eternal punishment - see also Romans 6:23, 2 Thessalonians 1:9, Matthew 25:46.
  5. Yet, in his great mercy, God sent his only Son Jesus Christ into the world to provide for sinners the way of eternal life - see also John 3:16, Galatians 3:13, 1 Peter 3:18.
  6. Therefore eternal life is a free gift to all who will trust in Christ as Lord and Savior and supreme Treasure of their lives - see also Acts 16:31, Romans 10:9, Ephesians 2:8-9, Galatians 2:20, Philippians 3:8.

As Holy Week and Easter approaches next, believers should all be mindful of the Good News Jesus brings, write these words on our heart (Hebrews 8:10) so that we can be constantly present to this Truth.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for the gospel, the Good News, and how it saves and gives me life to the full now in SO many ways that it is indescribable!  I am not deserving of my salvation and the blessings of being a child of God.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus for my sin today and every day - I know I fall short.  Help me turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.