Thursday, March 7, 2024

But you have been anointed by the Holy One, and you all have knowledge. I write to you, not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and because no lie is of the truth.

 1 John 2

But you have been anointed by the Holy One, and you all have knowledge.  I write to you, not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and because no lie is of the truth. 1 John 2:20-21

This morning, I continue my study of 1,2,3 John using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for these books. My study today focuses on a commentary-assisted review of 1 John 2:18-27. 

Per the commentary for this text:

Main idea: There have always been those, and more will come, who actively oppose Christ and the gospel; Christians must resist such error and cling to the truth of God as revealed by the Spirit in the Scriptures.

Excerpt from introduction:

  • John seeks for believers to be on watch for signs that end times are near - and one of those signs is the antichrist, false teachers who deny God and seek to lead/deceive believers away from God. "[I]t is absolutely essential that we have a biblically balanced understanding of who the antichrists are and what the antichrists do."

Divisions:

  1. Antichrists Attack Christ (2:18): John is the only Bible author who uses the term antichrist, yet other authors in the Bible refer to the same figure, including Daniel ("the coming prince" - Daniel 9:27), and Paul ("the man of lawlessness" - 2 Thessalonians 2:3), and as the beast from the sea in Revelation 13:1-10. We are urged to live with a sense of urgency, not knowing when the second coming of Christ will appear and we are to be ready. We are also to be aware that during the end times (defined as the period between first and second coming of Christ) there will be those who serve as antichrists denying God and deceiving others, and then there will be the Antichrist who "comes at the end of the last hour. Jesus Himself warned us of all of this in Matthew 24:4-5,24-25." The antichrists that oppose Jesus who come before the final Antichrist "do not directly oppose Jesus." Instead they practice deception and seduction and they "redefine Him."  By "chipping" away at who He is, believers quickly lose sight of the One True God and begin following false Gods and their ways.  "This is the spirit of the antichrists, and it will attempt to lead you down the road of spiritual error that is a theological dead end....[B]e on the lookout for those who attack the biblical teachings about Christ. They will do you no good." 
  2. Antichrists Abandon the Church (2:19,22-23): We are warned about "enemies within" the church.  We should recognize that antichrists who leave the church were never truly part of the church.  "Perseverance is the proof of possession. Defection from the fellowship gives evidence of a defective faith. That was certainly John’s perspective." Those who are truly saved persevere as part of the church.  We are referred to John 10:27-29 where Jesus refers to His followers as sheep who follow the shepherd when they hear His voice and how no one will be able to "snatch them out of His hand."  We must avoid the false belief that Jesus is significant but not preeminent and that not the Savior. This belief leads us away from the church.
  3. Antichrists Assault the Christian (2:20-21,24-27): Believers are equipped with the Holy Spirit and the Word of God to truly know God and to discern truth from falsehoods. If we abide in Him we can defend ourselves from the attacks of the antichrists. We must also be clear that we are not to add or subtract anything from God. "The false teachers will attempt to deceive you into thinking you need something more than Christ or something other than Christ."
 
My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are the One True God who gives me the Holy Spirit and Your Word and You protect me and save me.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.