Tuesday, March 12, 2024

“Woe to him who strives with him who formed him, a pot among earthen pots! Does the clay say to him who forms it, ‘What are you making?’ or ‘Your work has no handles’?

 Isaiah 45

“Woe to him who strives with him who formed him, a pot among earthen pots! Does the clay say to him who forms it, ‘What are you making?’ or ‘Your work has no handles’? Isaiah 45:9

Today, I pause once again my study of 1,2,3 John using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for these books to use DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotional, which today first ensures we know that God is sovereign over everything in the universe and all of its inhabitants (see also post yesterday) - John Piper wants us to see how once we acknowledge this - our natural response is to submit to Him and recognize that we are totally dependent on Him.  Piper uses Isaiah 45:9 and Psalm 100:3 as scriptural reference points for us on these matters.  He goes further by sharing that we are not just totally dependent on Him, but that He is for us! See Isaiah 33:21, 64:4 and Romans 8:31.  Piper concludes the devotion with an awe inspiring and encouraging word by sharing a rhetorical questions that "[c]an you think of anything (I mean anything) that is more comforting and assuring and delighting than that the Lord in his majesty is for you?"  I can't - of course not.  Who can have anything greater than God - nobody!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - always working for me while I am totally dependent on You - the Creator and Sustainer of All.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and compassion and blessing.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.