Thursday, September 5, 2024

But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.

1 Timothy 1

But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 1 Timothy 1:13b-14

I continue with my study of 1 and 2 Timothy, using DesiringGod.com's Look at the Book video series for these books. Today, I look at 1 Timothy 1:12-16, Part 1.  Excerpts from the video entitled Was Paul Found Faithful or Made Faithful?

  • Paul picks up where he left off in v11 by referring to himself as someone entrusted to spread the gospel
  • In v12 Paul deems himself trustworthy in his service to Christ Jesus and Paul describes and thanks Christ as giving Paul both grace and strength to be trustworthy to perform this service; the same Greek word used in Acts 9:22 where Christ is described as giving believers power to perform their appointed mission and to live the Christian life; see also Philippians 4:12-13 for another reference to the power for believers.
  • Piper also describes v12 where Paul is judged faithful through the appointment in Christ's service; God counted Paul as more significant (faithful) than he was, see also Philippians 2:3, 1 Timothy 6:1, James 1:2 where the same word count (or similar) is used.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are SO good - thank You for giving me the same power You gave Paul to life his life and to perform his appointed mission.  It is You who count me trustworthy and faithful even though I know I am undeserving.  Thank You Jesus!  Yet I know I am not deserving.  My sin is great - anger, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.