Wednesday, September 11, 2024

If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.

1 John 1:5-10

This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 1 John 1:5

I continue my preparation for leading Sunday school 15SEP, where our focus will be 1 John 1:5-10 and DesiringGod.com's Look at the Book video series for 1 John.  This morning I return to part 1 of the video for 1 John 1:5-10, entitled Fake Christians Walk in Darkness as this video digs into vv5-6. As I watch this video for a second time, I listen intently on John Piper's core question he seeks to answer in this video, which is: if we have sin what is walking in light?

First Piper defines light and points to John 1:4 where it says "[i]n him was life, and the life was the light of men."  Piper describes this verse by sharing that people were originally walking in darkness then God sent His Son Jesus Christ into the world to be light and life. We are then directed to John 8:12, 12:36, 1:14, and 1 John 2:8-11 to see how this works:

  1. If we follow Jesus, we will have the light of life.
  2. If you believe in the light, you become the light (note this is a journey or a process known as sanctification)
  3. We see God's glory in Jesus and this is light, and shine this light and it manifests itself as love

We should be aware of where we are in this journey of shining this light and ask our brothers and sisters in Christ to point out when we are not being this light.  Light exposes sin, and the Holy Spirit, the Word, and our brothers and sisters in Christ all serve to shine light on our sin so that we can better battle this sin.  Another DesiringGod.com resource that is helpful for us in our understanding of this text is this John Piper sermon where v5 is defined as the foundation upon which vv6-10 build.  The commentary of 1, 2, 3 John from The Christ-Centered Exposition Series outlines two divisions for vv5-10 with the first division covering v5 and summarized as "the world must know what God says about Himself."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for Your Word and thank You for being the Light so that I don't walk in darkness.  I am not deserving of how You give me light and life.  My sin continues...daily.  Please do forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.