Tuesday, September 17, 2024

“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”

Galatians 5:22-23

“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.  This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.” Matthew 22:37-40

I continue preparation to host and lead worship services at the Gardens and the Lodge this Sunday 22SEP on behalf of my church - using the RayFowler.Org Fruit of the Spirit Sermon series, and for this upcoming Sunday, the focus is the Fruit of Love.  The sermon follows the following broad themes and this morning my focus theme #2.

  1. Love and God
  2. Love comes first
  3. Growing in love

In introducing theme #2, the sermon shares how "the Bible tells us how love comes first. Love comes first in three ways: 1) Love is the greatest commandment. 2) Love is the greatest thing of all. And 3) Love is the first fruit which contains all the others."

We are then referred to Matthew 22:37-40 where Jesus states (in response to a question from the Pharisees who sought to test Him) love as the greatest commandment and that "[o]n these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets."

As we continue, the sermon then shares that love is not just the greatest commandment but "the greatest thing of all." We are referred to 1 Corinthians 13:13 as the sermon describes that "[e]arlier in the same chapter Paul tells us how love is greater than anything you can speak, know, understand, possess or give away. Love is greater than faith or hope. Faith has to do with the present, and hope is for the future, but love is for all time. Faith will become sight, hope will ultimately be fulfilled, but only love continues for all eternity. That’s the second reason love comes first. Love is the greatest thing of all."

The final point for this theme is that "[l]ove is the first fruit which contains all the others" and we are referred to 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 and Colossians 3:12, 14.  We are also referred to Jonathan Edwards, who "called love “the sum of all grace."  

The description of this theme concludes with a quote from Donald Barnhouse:

 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Thank You Jesus for loving me first, while I was still an enemy of yours, hostile to you and faith.  Thank You for Your amazing grace.  I am not deserving of Your love and amazing grace.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.