Sunday, September 15, 2024

So also you have sorrow now, but I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you.

John 16:22

So also you have sorrow now, but I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you. John 16:22

Today I pause from my preparation for leading Sunday school today and listen to DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys devotion for today entitled The Only Enduring Happiness, which describes the joy a believer has and how this joy is eternal.  John Piper shares: "your joy comes from being with Jesus, and the resurrection of Jesus means that you will never die; you will never be cut off from him.  So two things have to be true if your joy is never to be taken from you. One is that the source of your joy lasts forever and the other is that you last forever. If either you or the source of your joy is mortal, your joy will be taken from you."  Piper recognizes that many in this world do not have this joy as they have "settled" for a source of joy that is mortal, whatever that might be.  He urges these people to "seriously consider" Jesus as the source of their joy.  As he concludes the devotion, Piper refers us to Romans 8:38-39 as an encouragement and as additional text to confirm Jesus as the eternal source of joy.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are SO good and You give me eternal joy and salvation - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such amazing grace.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.