Sunday, September 8, 2024

What shall I render to the LORD for all his benefits to me? I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the LORD, I will pay my vows to the LORD in the presence of all his people.

Psalm 116:12-14

What shall I render to the LORD for all his benefits to me? I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the LORD, I will pay my vows to the LORD in the presence of all his people. Psalm 116:12-14

Because John Piper is still working on the DesiringGod.com's Look at the Book video series for 1 and 2 Timothy, and I am slightly ahead of him, I am again leaning on the Solid Joys daily devotion series, which today looks at Psalm 116:12-14 where the psalmist rhetorically asks how to repay the Lord for all the benefits He provides.  Piper himself looks at that question and at first glance is very nervous, thinking to himself that there is no way to pay back the Lord for all that He has done for those of whom He has saved.  Piper points to Acts 17:25 and 1 Corinthians 15:10 where Luke and Paul describe how in Piper's words "you can’t give anything to God or do anything for God that he hasn’t first given to you and done for you," and "none of our work can ever be a payment to God, because the very work is another gift from God. With every deed we do for God we go deeper into debt to grace."  Piper then shares how the psalmist answers the very question raised rhetorically in v12. 

  • In v13a: "I call on the Lord to fill the cup. To pay back the Lord means to go on receiving from the Lord so that the Lord’s inexhaustible goodness will be magnified."
  • In v13b: "I will call for more help. What shall I render to God for graciously answering my call? Answer: I shall call again. I will render to God the praise and the tribute that he is never in need of me, but is always overflowing with benefits when I need him (which I always do)."
  • In v14: "[Vows to the Lord] will be paid by holding up the cup of salvation and by calling on the Lord. That is, they will be paid by faith in the promise that more grace — all-sufficient grace — is always on the way." 

God's grace never runs out - unbelievable!  See also this post.  

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and is full of compassion for me - extending me grace in an inexhaustible supply. Thank You Jesus.  I am not deserving of such grace.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.