Thursday, September 12, 2024

This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

1 John 1:5-10

This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 1 John 1:5

I continue my preparation for leading Sunday school 15SEP, where our focus will be 1 John 1:5-10 and DesiringGod.com's Look at the Book video series for 1 John.  To provide another angle on my preparation, today I lean on the commentary to 1, 2, 3 John from The Christ-Centered Exposition Series, specifically, as it describes this text with the following divisions:

  1. The World Must Know What God Says about Himself (v5): 1 John 1:1-4 describe Jesus Christ as "from the beginning" (v1), "the Word of life" (v1), "the eternal life" (v2), the Father's Son (v3), the source of fellowship (v3), and the source of joy (v4). "This is God’s witness concerning His Son and our Savior. This is what He thinks about Jesus Christ. Having met this Savior in repentance and faith, we have a divine assignment that involves the proclamation of a specific gospel with a universal scope (2:2). This message is for the whole world....[This] is an abiding and permanent mandate to get it to the nations, to all 16,500 people groups in the world, with 6,900 still unreached (JoshuaProject.net, as of Feb. 10, 2014)....That “God is light” is an embedded aspect of faithful gospel proclamation. It highlights the contrast between who God is and who we are without Him. The word “light” occurs in some form over 275 times in the Bible (95 times in the New Testament). It is a popular theme throughout the Scriptures....An essential component of faithful gospel proclamation is an understanding of the nature and character of God.  This is a theme that John will raise several times. For example, he teaches us that God is light (1:5), God is love (4:8,16), and God is true (5:20)....[T]he image of light...sometimes it points to God’s holiness, moral purity, and goodness. Other times the focus is on truth and revelation. It is certainly possible John wished to communicate all these ideas here....In the light of God is the fullness of the life of God, and there is no lack of life in Him at all. This is a non-negotiable tenet in faithful theology and faithful gospel proclamation. This is a message we must be passionate to share with the world."    
  2. The World Must Know What God Says about Sin (vv6-10): "If we say we have fellowship with God—that God is our intimate friend, known in light and life—yet we walk in darkness—in death and all that accompanies spiritual death and darkness (cf. Ephesians 2:1-3)—we lie and do not practice or live out the truth. The verb “walk” is in the present tense and speaks of a continuous and consistent pattern of life. In essence, we say to others, “I know God,” but our beliefs and behavior contradict our words. By denying that Jesus is God in the flesh and downplaying the seriousness of sin, we lie to others about who we are....Those who live in death and darkness do not just lie to others, saying one thing while believing and living another. Eventually they lie to themselves, becoming self-deceived....It should be noted that the apostle John does not deny our need to be seen as sinless. He simply notes that we cannot find it in ourselves. We need an advocate. We need an atonement. We need another....John says...[if you] lie to others (1:6) and lie to yourself (1:8), and soon you will lie about God. In fact you will actually call God a liar....Someone else’s word says we have no sin problem. But God says we are sinners and need a Savior."

Comment and discuss this post

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are SO good!  You give me the breath of life, amazing grace and mercies every day that never cease and You give me my salvation.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.