Sunday, September 1, 2024

Certain persons, by swerving from these, have wandered away into vain discussion, desiring to be teachers of the law, without understanding either what they are saying or the things about which they make confident assertions.

1 Timothy 1

Certain persons, by swerving from these, have wandered away into vain discussion, desiring to be teachers of the law, without understanding either what they are saying or the things about which they make confident assertions. 1 Timothy 1:6-7

I continue with my study of 1 and 2 Timothy, using DesiringGod.com's Look at the Book video series for these books. Today, I look at 1 Timothy 1:5–7. Excerpts from the video entitled Where Does Empty Talk Come From?:

  • The text for this video overlaps with the post from yesterday where in the video v5 is also used; with that post exhorting us to "love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith."
  • In this video, Piper shares how the main and most crucial point is from vv5-6 where Paul shares how swerving from and departing from a real authentic faith - that comes from a pure heart and a good conscience - leads us to teaching with vain or empty words; see also 2 Timothy and Titus for the other pastoral epistles where we see NT scripture for "abiding" purposes; the teaching is not doctrine but instead exhortations urging us to faith where we are to hold fast to Christ; if we lose our passion for the purpose as defined in v5 our teaching is empty and meaningless.
  • From v7, Piper shares background from the day how some in the church wanted to be teachers, but became empty talkers because they were not correctly interpreting matters of OT law; see also Titus 1:10, 13-14, 3:9, 2 Timothy 2:16-18, Matthew 22:23, 31-32 (which points to Exodus 3:6); Piper does emphasize that Biblical scholars are not certain exactly what these false teachers were teaching so this verse should not focus on what was wrong about the teaching referred to here but simply that the teaching was wrong because of how they swerved or departed from authentic faith. 

Be aware of false teachers!

Comment and discuss this post

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are so good and Your Word is true and perfect - thank You for giving me Your Word, the Holy Spirit, gospel-centered teachers and mentors, etc.  What blessings!  I am not deserving of my salvation or such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.