Wednesday, September 4, 2024

...in accordance with the gospel of the glory of the blessed God with which I have been entrusted.

1 Timothy 1

...in accordance with the gospel of the glory of the blessed God with which I have been entrusted. 1 Timothy 1:11

I continue with my study of 1 and 2 Timothy, using DesiringGod.com's Look at the Book video series for these books. Today, I look at 1 Timothy 1:8-11; this video is part 3 of 3 on this text.  Excerpts from the video entitled What Difference Does God's Happiness Make?

  • This video of course builds on the previous two videos that examine unhealthy and healthy teaching and the second of the third video refers to one of the criteria as being in accordance with the gospel
  • The core focus of this message is John Piper's exploration of the word blessed in v11 where Paul refers to the gospel of the glory of the blessed God. The original Greek word from scripture here is makarios, which is defined as "happy, blessed, as a noun it can depict someone who receives divine favor."
  • For similar references by Paul of makarios, see also Titus 2:13, Romans 4:7-8, 1 Corinthians 7:40, where this happy, blessed is also used; Piper's concise definition of is happy, joyful, content, or profoundly satisfied; in the text it is God who is happy, etc. 
  • See John 15:11, Matthew 25:23, Matthew 17:5 for other text where God's joy is also discussed; in particular Matthew 17:5 where God is speaking and refers to Jesus and God is "well pleased" with Jesus and Piper refers to this as massive and the highest and most essential joy of God.
  • Psalm 135:6, 115:3, Isa 46:9-10, Psalm 149:4, Zephaniah 3:17, Jeremiah 32:40-41 where God is pleased and He rejoices, including with His people 
  • See also book by Piper, The Pleasures of God
  • God's happiness matters because in Heaven, Believers get to enter into the pleasure of God - unbelievable!
  • Also, we must remember that we exist to pursue the glory of the blessed or happy God!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God who gives me satisfaction and a living water where I no longer thirst for anything above You.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a blessing.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.