Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Now we know that the law is good, if one uses it lawfully, understanding this, that the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient...and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine, in accordance with the gospel of the glory of the blessed God with which I have been entrusted.

1 Timothy 1

Now we know that the law is good, if one uses it lawfully, understanding this, that the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient...and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine, in accordance with the gospel of the glory of the blessed God with which I have been entrusted. 1 Timothy 1:8,10b-11

I continue with my study of 1 and 2 Timothy, using DesiringGod.com's Look at the Book video series for these books. Today, I look at 1 Timothy 1:8-11; this video is part 2 of 3 on this text.  Excerpts from the video entitled What Is Healthy Teaching?

  • The focus of this video is Paul's reference to sound doctrine or healthy teaching - see also 2 Timothy 2:16 that illustrates unhealthy talking using the example of gangrene which if not addressed kills; 1 Timothy 6:3-5 also discusses unhealthy teaching and how it results in "envy, dissension, slander, evil suspicions, and constant friction among people who are depraved in mind and deprived of the truth, imagining that godliness is a means of gain."
  • In the text today, healthy teaching is first defined as "in accordance with the gospel of the glory."  See also Ephesians 1:4-6, John 1:14, and 2 Thessalonians 2:14 where God's glory is described in reference to the gospel.
  • From the text and also from 1 Timothy 6:3-5 healthy teaching is then defined as accords with the words of the Lord, and it accords with godliness.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are SO good - thank You Jesus! Thank You for the gospel and for how it teaches perfectly and provides a lamp to my feet!  I am not deserving of Your Word, how it teaches and for the many teachers I have had that sharpen me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me for my many sins and help me turn from and overcome my sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.