Wednesday, January 29, 2014

“It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

Mark 2

“It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.” v17

I am struck by the differences between the gospel of Matthew and Mark.  While Matthew's audience was Jews, Mark's was Gentiles.  For Matthew it was important to establish the lineage of Jesus and the fulfillment of Old Testament prophecy.  For Mark, these details were less important so his account of Jesus' life starts with John the Baptist preparing the way and Jesus baptism.

For me, I am once again reminded of how understanding your audience is important when spreading the Good News of Jesus Christ.  Keep in mind what is important to the audience.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You knew all about me even before I was born.  You know how many hairs are on my head.  You know what is in store for me and You have great plans for me.  Of all this I know.  You are the Lord of Lords and You are my Lord my Savior.  What a great God You are!  I am not worthy of the love and blessing You provide.  I am full of pride, selfishness, impatience and so much more sin.  Thank You that You love me anyway but please forgive me Jesus!  Help me turn from this sin and help me be the man You intend for me.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength.