Wednesday, January 22, 2014

“It is your responsibility!”

 Matthew 27

“It is your responsibility!” v24

This phrase is mentioned twice in the same chapter - once by the chief priests in v4 and also again (not the exact wording but near exact) in v24.  The repeated use of this phrase underscores Matthew's emphasis on self examination with regards to our role in sin.  We can't escape guilt in relation to sin just because we are not directly responsible for the sin action.  Each sin carries with it a related set of sins that contribute - for example, in criminal law this is called an accessory to the crime.  Additionally, guilt can be shared by contributing forces - such as society or an upbringing.  How many times have you heard of people defend themselves by saying they are not guilty because something ELSE caused my guilt.  Matthew would have none of this - these forces mean that everyone is guilty when multiple parties contribute to sin.  Pilate is not innocent of course; nor are the chief priests, Judas, or any of the other disciples that failed to stand up for Jesus (Peter) or fled (the rest of the disciples).

...for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God...Romans 3:23

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are the Lord of Lords, the King of Kings, and the Name Above All Names...You created all and You reign in my life.  You are full of mercy, kindness, patience, compassion and so much more...my words and my worship are insufficient to describe Your greatness.  That You love me is amazing...even more amazing that You died for me.  I am worth these blessings.  I am weak...I fail to demonstrate Jesus with my life as You intend....to be a light.  Thank You that You have and continue to love me but please forgive me Jesus.  Help me turn from my sloth.  Help me be more of the man You intend for me.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength.