Tuesday, November 18, 2014

So they shook the dust off their feet as a warning to them and went to Iconium.

Acts 13

So they shook the dust off their feet as a warning to them and went to Iconium. v51

It is clear that believers are to set apart from the rest of the world...just as the Israelites were God's chosen people and commanded to live a certain way so to be "set apart".  Jesus wants His followers to be a light...clear to those who see them:  

“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden." Matthew 5:14

Paul and Barnabas wanted no part of the Jews' who witnessed the works of Jesus and heard heard his words and teachings yet failed to believe.  Their response according to John McArthur "is clear that they considered the Jews at Antioch no better than heathen. There could have been no stronger condemnation."*  We are to be set apart...and Paul tells us how in Romans 12:2:

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, Your will and Your ways are Truth and "no word of [Yours] will ever fail".  You have never failed me and You never will.  I trust You Jesus and I love You...yet I still struggle with sin and I desperately need You in my life.  I am quick to anger, slow to listen, selfish, prideful, and harsh with my words and action.  My list of sin is ever longer...I am deeply sorry Lord - Thank You that You love me anyway but please forgive me.  Help me turn from such sin and towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Help me apply and be obedient to Your message for me today. 


*MacArthur, John (2005-05-10). The MacArthur Bible Commentary (Kindle Location 48398). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition.