Thursday, March 17, 2016

Everyone is but a breath, even those who seem secure.

Psalm 39

Everyone is but a breath, even those who seem secure. v5

We are reminded this morning that God is in control, that our earthly security is a mere phantom, that every new day is a gift of grace from God (and we are not deserving of such a gift) and that we must live life with the end in mind.

David expands and clarifies this further:

Surely everyone goes around like a mere phantom; in vain they rush about, heaping up wealth without knowing whose it will finally be. v6 

In light of God's dominion over our life, Peter admonishes us to live a life of reverent fear:

Since you call on a Father who judges each person’s work impartially, live out your time as foreigners here in reverent fear.  1 Peter 1:17

Living today with intention will provide us with hope for a secure future in Heaven: 

In the last days the mountain of the Lord’s temple will be established as the highest of the mountains; it will be exalted above the hills, and peoples will stream to it. Many nations will come and say, “Come, let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the temple of the God of Jacob.
He will teach us his ways, so that we may walk in his paths.”

The law will go out from Zion, the word of the Lord from Jerusalem. He will judge between many peoples and will settle disputes for strong nations far and wide. They will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks.  Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore.   

Everyone will sit under their own vine and under their own fig tree, and no one will make them afraid, for the Lord Almighty has spoken. 

 All the nations may walk in the name of their gods, but we will walk in the name of the Lord our God for ever and ever. Micah 4:1-5

My Prayer: Lord, You are our hope....our only hope.  We live on earth as foreigners assaulted from all sides...but You protect us and You rescue us...and through faith in You we receive not just forgiveness from sins but eternity in heaven - our true home.  What a great God You are!  Thank You for such gifts Jesus but I am not worth (Matthew 5:3) such a God and I am completely dependent on You.  Forgive me for my many sins of impatience, anger, etc.  Help me overcome and turn from such sins towards You and help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength.  Help me love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give me strength.  Give Lisa strength.  Please heal and cure her of her cancer and the side effects from chemo and radiation. Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach and Dustin...and serve You.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.