Friday, March 11, 2016

Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him...

Psalm 37
 
Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him...v7

Although David in this verse is highlighting how God protects believers from harm...I believe this verse also speaks to why we should not worry...God is in control and directs the lives of His children for their good and His glory.  See also post from a couple of days ago here.

I did not trust in the Lord growing up and my path has been full of wrong turns and dead ends...I don't want my kids to make the same mistakes so I worry and I try and engineer their lives through criticism and manipulation...all sinful and wrong!  I don't want to exasperate my children (Ephesians 6:4).  

Instead my focus should be how I am being Jesus, NOT on how they are not being Jesus.  I should be a light onto others so they are attracted to being a light also...to have the truth that I have.  By modeling Jesus for them, I hopefully earn the right to talk about Jesus with them.

Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. Matthew 5:15

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. Proverbs 22:6

With these foundational steps, I then to allow God to do His thing:

The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still. Exodus 14:14

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, I KNOW You fight for me...all the time. And I know You know everything about me, including my sin, yet You still came for me and then suffered and died for me...willingly.  Thank You Jesus but I am not worth such a blessing.  My worry is great and I need not only Your forgiveness but also Your help to turn from such sin and to turn towards You so that You can fight for me!  Help me love and trust You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give me strength.  Give Lisa strength.  Please heal and cure Lisa of the side effects from chemo and radiation.  Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach and Dustin and serve You.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.