Monday, March 7, 2016

I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.

Psalm 32

I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you. v8

As I reflect on my 50th birthday today and read this verse, I am thankful for the greatest gift of all time - Jesus Christ.  Without a doubt, Jesus is the "way, the truth, and the life" (John 14:6).  At the same time, I have experienced what David writes in verses 9-10:


Do not be like the horse or the mule, which have no understanding but must be controlled by bit and bridle.  V9-10

 Arrogance is self-worship and this is dangerous - just ask Saul when Samuel tells him that God has rejected him as King:

For rebellion is like the sin of divination, and arrogance like the evil of idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the Lordhe has rejected you as king.” 1 Samuel 15:23


I have been, more so than today, arrogant....and thankfully God has humbled me...and I know there is more humbling needed because none of us are where God needs us to be.

Help me have a hunger and thirst for righteousness (Matthew 5:6) and recognize that "apart from You I have no good thing" (Psalm 16:2).

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God, full of love and patience for me...despite my arrogance...and despite my anger and impatience for others.  Thank You Jesus.  I am not deserving of such patience, love, grace, compassion, etc.  My anger continues to burn as I lose my patience too easily.  Please forgive me!  Help me overcome such sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength.  Help me love others as You love me...please!  Help me grow in my faith.  Give me strength.  Give Lisa strength.  Please heal and cure her of her cancer and the side effects from chemo and radiation. Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach and Dustin...and serve You.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.