Thursday, March 3, 2016

The Lord preserves those who are true to him, but the proud he pays back in full.

Psalm 31 

The Lord preserves those who are true to him, but the proud he pays back in full. v23

Given the definition of pride - "a feeling or deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements", pride is a very dangerous sin because it is not only a sin in and of itself (see Philippians 2:3-4 below), but because the implication is that you don't need God.

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.
Philippians 2:3-4

Salvation starts with an acceptance and acknowledgement that we need God - above all other needs - see also Matthew 5:3.

That is why humility is so often discussed in the Bible.  See posts here.  

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, indeed...You are the Lord of Lord, King of Kings and my Lord and Savior.  Apart from You I can do nothing and I have nothing.  You provide for my every need - even though I am not deserving.  I continue to worry for my kids, please forgive me Jesus and help me turn from such sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength.  Help me love others as You do. Help me grow in my faith.  Give me strength. Give Lisa strength.  Please heal and cure her of her cancer and the side effects from chemo and radiation.  Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach and Dustin...and serve You.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.