Thursday, November 16, 2017

But he refused to drink it; instead, he poured it out before the Lord. “Far be it from me, Lord, to do this!” he said. “Is it not the blood of men who went at the risk of their lives?” And David would not drink it.

2 Samuel 23


But he refused to drink it; instead, he poured it out before the Lord. “Far be it from me, Lord, to do this!” he said. “Is it not the blood of men who went at the risk of their lives?” And David would not drink it. v16-17

David had his Mighty Warriors and together I suspect these men would do anything for each other.  These men exemplified the love for one another that Jesus refers to as the 2nd most important commandment:


Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” Matthew 22:37-40

Jesus restates this command (with what appears to be a higher bar):


“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.  By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:34-35

First and foremost, we all need Jesus.  So that we all remain "sharp" (Proverbs 27:17) and we also all need our own Mighty Warriors.

See also post here.

Let a righteous man strike me—that is a kindness; let him rebuke me—that is oil on my head.  My head will not refuse it, for my prayer will still be against the deeds of evildoers. Psalm 141:5

 Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.  1 Thessalonians 5:11

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has given me my own mighty warriors who have sharpened me and encouraged me. Thank You Jesus.  I am not worth such love as I continue to be harsh with my words and actions.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.