Wednesday, November 29, 2017

By the sins they committed they stirred up his jealous anger more than those who were before them had done.

1 Kings 14

By the sins they committed they stirred up his jealous anger more than those who were before them had done. v22

We see here that God is a jealous God, as He is angry with how those in the kingdom of Judah who worshiped other gods besides the One True God.  Israel worshiped other gods as well - see 1 Kings 12:30.

God is referred to as a jealous God throughout scripture - primarily the Old Testament.

Yet this is not a human jealousy as God's thoughts and ways are not like ours (Isaiah 55:8).

Paul refers to Godly jealousy in his letter to the church in Corinth:

I hope you will put up with me in a little foolishness. Yes, please put up with me!   I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy. I promised you to one husband, to Christ, so that I might present you as a pure virgin to him. But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ.  2 Corinthians 11:1-3

Charles Spurgeon describes Godly jealousy here with an excerpt below.


"Not that God is jealous so as to bring him down to the likeness of men, but that this is the nearest idea we can form of what the Divine Being feels—if it be right to use even that word toward him—when he beholds his throne occupied by false gods, his dignity insulted, and his glory usurped by others."

Lord Jesus, please help me avoid worshiping other gods and love You alone.

My Prayers: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God, full of love and compassion for me - I know from time to time I have worshiped other Gods. Yet You have been slow to anger and abounding in love - thank You Jesus! Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome such sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.