Tuesday, November 7, 2017

But King David mourned many days for his son.

2 Samuel 13

But King David mourned many days for his son. v37

Building on yesterday's post regarding grace and the consequences of sin, we see how David continues to experience consequences from his sin.  Here we see Amnon rape his sister Tamar and then Absalom, his brother, take revenge on Amnon.  This is the cycle of sin.  Unfortunately, it appears that the sins of the father trickled down to the sons.

When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death. James 1:13-15
 
David's sons get caught up in the same impulsive behavior that drove David to seduce Bathsheba and this same impulse effects us all.
 
All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath. Ephesians 2:2  
 
Of course God can break this cycle of sin, in our own lives and in the lives of our families.

We need to draw near to God, ask for His direction and seek transformation of our hearts and minds (Romans 12:2).
 
We don't see David's sons inquiring of the Lord like their father.

Lord Jesus please help me with my own sin so that I can be Jesus to my sons.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God, full of love, grace and wisdom.  You have protected me from great harm and been full of compassion when I have sinned.  Thank You for Your love.  I am not worth such love.  I worry..and I am harsh with my words and actions. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses for our sons.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.