Wednesday, November 22, 2017

God gave Solomon wisdom and very great insight, and a breadth of understanding as measureless as the sand on the seashore. Solomon’s wisdom was greater than the wisdom of all the people of the East, and greater than all the wisdom of Egypt.

1 Kings 4

God gave Solomon wisdom and very great insight, and a breadth of understanding as measureless as the sand on the seashore. Solomon’s wisdom was greater than the wisdom of all the people of the East, and greater than all the wisdom of Egypt. v29-30

Solomon was not just wise in terms of his ability to synthesize inputs and to solve problems (see the Wise Rulings 1 Kings 3:16-28), but also in his knowledge of worldly matters.


He spoke three thousand proverbs and his songs numbered a thousand and five. He spoke about plant life, from the cedar of Lebanon to the hyssop that grows out of walls. He also spoke about animals and birds, reptiles and fish.  v32-33

What is interesting here is that Solomon was not born with such wisdom - Solomon ASKED for it (to be equipped as king) and God GAVE it to him.

This is really critical for all of us to understand because all of us struggle from time to time with weighty decisions, and with whether we are equipped to serve in areas where God calls us.

We should understand that if we ask for wisdom and to be equipped He will answer our call.  

There are many examples of how God equips people in the Bible - Moses, Gideon, Jonah, etc. - and how he takes ordinary people who love Him and submit to Him, and He accomplishes amazing and miraculous things through these people.

Praise God!

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who is able to accomplish all things - You are all powerful and yet You came to rescue me.  thank You Jesus.  I am not worth such love.  I worry.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses for Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.