Sunday, November 5, 2017

In the spring, at the time when kings go off to war, David sent Joab out with the king’s men and the whole Israelite army.

2 Samuel 11

In the spring, at the time when kings go off to war, David sent Joab out with the king’s men and the whole Israelite army. v1

With previous readings of this chapter, my focus has been on David's sin and humanity vs the perfection of God.  Today my focus is on HOW David found himself falling prey to temptation and sin.

First we must remember that since The Fall (Genesis 3), sin entered the world, it is all around us (in the world), and it is "on the prowl".  

This said, God is our refuge and He can protect us from sin.  Yet if we fail to draw near to Him and stay near to Him we risk losing God's protection.  I am not saying that we ever deserve God's protection by virtue of an act - on the contrary, God's protection is only by His grace and we are not deserving.  We are never promised a life of ease and comfort.  Instead we are promised that God can help us overcome the world (John 16:33) either in life or in death. 

One key way God protects us is by providing others in our lives who "sharpen" us (Proverbs 27:17).  

Since the beginning (Genesis 2), it has always been part of God's plan that we are to live together with others who can support, encourage and help us.

David had His mighty warriors (2 Samuel 23) yet David chose to stay home in v1 when Joab and David's mighty warriors all went into battle.  

We CANNOT afford to live life on our own!  We must find others - the right others - who can encourage, support and sharpen us.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who has provide many, many "right" others for me and these people have encouraged, supported, and sharpened me.  Thank You Jesus for these people!  I am not worth such love because my sin continues - envy, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please prepare Godly spouses and friends for them.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.