Saturday, November 4, 2017

David thought, “I will show kindness to Hanun son of Nahash, just as his father showed kindness to me.”

2 Samuel 10

David thought, “I will show kindness to Hanun son of Nahash, just as his father showed kindness to me.” v2

Here we have David expressing what I will call transactional kindness - this is in contrast to my previous post where David not only expresses kindness to Jonathan's son Mephibosheth, but also to Saul's servant Ziba and Ziba's family - despite Saul's sinful behavior to David.  

Nahash (per Mcarthur Commentary) was an enemy of Saul and thus he and David shared an implied alliance.  Yet we are not only to provide kindness to our friends but also to our enemies.  Again, per my post yesterday, we are not in a position to judge as ALL are deserving of God's love.

If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. Luke 6:29

You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. Matthew 5:43-48

...and the story of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10).

It is God who judges: He brings one down, he exalts another. Psalm 75:7

 My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who has shown kindness to me - despite my sin.  I am often deserving of Your kindness yet You continue to love me and show kindness to me.  Thank You Jesus.  Please forgive me for my gossip and worry.  Help me overcome and turn from such sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.