Thursday, November 30, 2017

For David had done what was right in the eyes of the Lord and had not failed to keep any of the Lord’s commands all the days of his life—except in the case of Uriah the Hittite.

1 Kings 15

For David had done what was right in the eyes of the Lord and had not failed to keep any of the Lord’s commands all the days of his life—except in the case of Uriah the Hittite. v5

God loved David so much that He made a promise to him (the Davidic Covenant) that "I will raise up your offspring to succeed you, your own flesh and blood, and I will establish his kingdom. He is the one who will build a house for my Name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever."  

Even though the descendants of David (now inhabiting the kingdom of Judah) turned away from Him, God was faithful and raising up to the throne in Judah descendants of David.  In reference to
Abijah, it is written:

He committed all the sins his father had done before him; his heart was not fully devoted to the Lord his God, as the heart of David his forefather had been. Nevertheless, for David’s sake the Lord his God gave him a lamp in Jerusalem by raising up a son to succeed him and by making Jerusalem strong. v3-4

Abijah's son is Asa, and Asa did right in the eyes of the Lord: 

Asa did what was right in the eyes of the Lord, as his father (in his line) David had done. v11

God is so faithful - He will always keep His promises.  We know that Jesus is the one referred to in the Davidic Covenant as the one whose throne will last forever.   

See also posts here.

For no word from God will ever fail. Luke 1:37 

My Prayer:  Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who has created the heavens and the earth, who is able to do all things, is in control of all things, yet You willingly submitted Your life so that I may be rescued from sin and death.  Thank You Jesus - amazing.  The greatest gift of all time.  I am not worth such love.  I worry.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior. Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.