Friday, December 1, 2017

Then the woman said to Elijah, “Now I know that you are a man of God and that the word of the Lord from your mouth is the truth.”

1 Kings 17

Then the woman said to Elijah, “Now I know that you are a man of God and that the word of the Lord from your mouth is the truth.” v24

The Lord is in control (Colossians 1:16-17) and everything He allows or does is for a reason - that He be glorified and His children are rescued.  Israel is deep in sin (King Ahab has been worse than those before him (1 Kings 16:30) and God causes a drought (v1).  Out of this drought, the Lord brings Elijah to a widow and her son for food.  She has little but gives what she has and learns how God provides.  This is reinforced as God uses Elijah to heal the widow's son (v19-23).

This process of how people know who God is and how He works is a lifelong process. I don't know what happened to the widow and her son but I suspect that they sought God and God continued to reveal Himself to them as they grew in maturity in their love of God.

This interaction with Elijah reminds me of Jesus' interaction with the woman the well where a Samaritan woman encounters the promised Messiah.

We must all move beyond knowing that God is real to truly seeking Him and growing in Christ.

Therefore let us move beyond the elementary teachings about Christ and be taken forward to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death, and of faith in God[.] Hebrews 6:1
 
My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who continues to reveal Himself...daily!  Thank You Jesus for always being there and providing for me, guiding me, healing me, protecting me, etc.  I am not worth such love.  I am often harsh with my words and actions. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior. Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.