Friday, December 8, 2017

The officer had said to the man of God, “Look, even if the Lord should open the floodgates of the heavens, could this happen?” The man of God had replied, “You will see it with your own eyes, but you will not eat any of it!” And that is exactly what happened to him, for the people trampled him in the gateway, and he died.

2 Kings 7

The officer had said to the man of God, “Look, even if the Lord should open the floodgates of the heavens, could this happen?” The man of God had replied, “You will see it with your own eyes, but you will not eat any of it!” And that is exactly what happened to him, for the people trampled him in the gateway, and he died. v19-20

In 2 Kings 6-7 Elisha performs several miracles, including floating an ax head, producing protection around himself via hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha (v17), and blinding the Aramean army.

Yet even with God's power on display not all are convinced that God reigns, is all powerful, all knowing, all seeing, and in control (Colossians 1:16-17).  

Elisha prophecies about the end of a siege and famine:

Elisha replied, “Hear the word of the Lord. This is what the Lord says: About this time tomorrow, a seah of the finest flour will sell for a shekel and two seahs of barley for a shekel at the gate of Samaria.”

The officer on whose arm the king was leaning said to the man of God, “Look, even if the Lord should open the floodgates of the heavens, could this happen?” 2 Kings 7:1-2

It is not clear whether the officer witnessed all or part of God's power yet it would be hard to imagine, given his position close to the king, that he has not seen God's power at some point.  The MacArthur Bible Commentary refers to this officer as the King's chief adviser.

Ultimately, this officer dies, just as Elisha prophesied.  

The questions become - for those of us who believe, do we doubt God's power?  Do we have faith?

We can only have faith by building our relationship with Him and by drawing near to God.

Listen to my instruction and be wise; do not disregard it. Blessed are those who listen to me, watching daily at my doors, waiting at my doorway.  For those who find me find life and receive favor from the Lord. Proverbs 8:33-35

Come near to God and he will come near to you. James 4:8

See here an interesting commentary on whether faith is a choice or a gift from God.  Regardless of how we achieve faith, we must have it as it drives us closer to Him and His promises for us await.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, what an amazing God You are - all seeing, all knowing, all powerful - yet You left God's side to die for me so that I may have life...to the full.  Thank You Jesus for the greatest gift of all time.  I am not worth such a gift.  I am selfish.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.