Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Surely these things happened to Judah according to the Lord’s command, in order to remove them from his presence because of the sins of Manasseh and all he had done, including the shedding of innocent blood. For he had filled Jerusalem with innocent blood, and the Lord was not willing to forgive.

2 Kings 24

Surely these things happened to Judah according to the Lord’s command, in order to remove them from his presence because of the sins of Manasseh and all he had done, including the shedding of innocent blood. For he had filled Jerusalem with innocent blood, and the Lord was not willing to forgive. v3-4

As I posted last Friday, God's patience is not unlimited.  However, his justice is perfect.

In today's verses we see further demonstration of God's perfect justice. Coffman's Commentary provides further insight which quotes from Jeremiah:


Jeremiah 15:1 explains why this was true. "It was because the measure of their sins was full, and in justice God had no choice except to punish them. Even if the greatest intercessors such as Moses and Samuel had come before the Lord (pleading for Judah), it would have done no good."

While God does punish us, just as parents would hope for their children, we should see God's punishment as for the glory of God and good for us.  See also this post and posts on viewing discipline as training.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God whose love for us never stops even when You discipline us.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not worth such love as I worry and I am harsh with my words and actions.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to Jesus and for them to choose Him as their Lord and Savior.  Provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.