Tuesday, December 5, 2017

“The spirit of Elijah is resting on Elisha.”

2 Kings 2

“The spirit of Elijah is resting on Elisha.” v15

I see symbolism in Elijah's life that points us to Jesus.

Elijah is taken to heaven but He is not the promised Messiah - Jesus is.

When Elijah dies, Elisha tears his cloak in two. When Jesus dies, the curtain of the temple is torn in two (Matthew 27:51). 

When Elijah dies, others look for Him for three days but they do not find him.  When Jesus dies, he returns in three days and He is seen by many.

When Elijah dies, a double portion of God's spirit rests on Elisha.  When Jesus dies, the Holy Spirit is provided to the disciples at Pentecost and to all of us.

Bottom line: there is significance in Elijah's life and his life is worthy of study as is all of the Bible - but in particular Elijah.

Great commentary on Elijah here.

From this commentary:
"The world today still has its Ahabs and Jezebels. The present age also has its idolatry, though it is more subtle than that of Elijah’s day.

The shrines of pagan worship may not be as visible in a basically Christian-professing society, and there may be very few carved images that people actually worship, yet millions are following after the gods of this world. Today’s idols can be riches, fame, pleasure and the pleasant-sounding fables that occupy the hearts and minds of many who are unwilling and disinterested in learning about God."

The commentary also says this about Elijah:
Elijah is considered one of the most important prophets of the Old Testament. He faithfully carried out God’s mission in the face of danger and hardship. His was a singular voice of “one crying in the wilderness” to rebuke sin in the land and to expose the false prophets and false religions of his day.


Believers such as myself may also, as Elijah does, feel alone and discouraged sharing the Gospel and living as Christ commands us to.  Yet if we earnestly seek Him and cry out to Him as Elijah does (see 1 Kings 19).  

See also post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, what an awesome God You are!  You will never leave or forsake us and You always hear and respond to our call.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not worth such love.  I worry.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.