Wednesday, December 13, 2017

The Lord had seen how bitterly everyone in Israel, whether slave or free, was suffering; there was no one to help them. And since the Lord had not said he would blot out the name of Israel from under heaven, he saved them by the hand of Jeroboam son of Jehoash.

2 Kings 14

The Lord had seen how bitterly everyone in Israel, whether slave or free, was suffering; there was no one to help them. And since the Lord had not said he would blot out the name of Israel from under heaven, he saved them by the hand of Jeroboam son of Jehoash. v26

God goes to great lengths to get our attention, demonstrating that we don't get what we deserve (wages of sin is death - Romans 6:23) and we do get what we don't deserve (grace is gift - Ephesians 2:8-9).  As part of this, we see God as someone who once again always keeps His promises, and this stops Him from destroying or allowing the destruction of Israel.

Our response to such grace should be one of repentance.  We should turn towards God. 

Yet according to the Macarthur Bible Commentary, Israel enjoyed prosperity not experienced since the days of Solomon but failed to turn towards God.  Instead, Jeroboam and Israel rested in material wealth.

This is our story - we too often place our faith in ourselves, others, and in earthly possessions and material wealth.  

Lord Jesus, please help me trust in You alone!

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, what an amazing God You are - You save me from the sting of sin and death and You provide eternity in heaven.  Thank You Jesus - You are the greatest gift of all time.  I am not worth such a gift.  I worry - FAR too much.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.