Monday, December 18, 2017

Neither before nor after Josiah was there a king like him who turned to the Lord as he did—with all his heart and with all his soul and with all his strength, in accordance with all the Law of Moses.

2 Kings 23

Neither before nor after Josiah was there a king like him who turned to the Lord as he did—with all his heart and with all his soul and with all his strength, in accordance with all the Law of Moses. v25

Further evidence (see also yesterday's post) that God does not promise a trouble free life.  Josiah loved the Lord and led God's people in Judah to renew their covenant with the Lord (v3).  

Yet the Lord remained angry with Judah (v27) and Josiah ends up being killed in battle (v29).

We cannot love God with the expectation that He will bless us in earthly ways - He may or He may not.  We must find joy in God alone - when all else is stripped away - even our life, we have Jesus. 

What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ[.] Philippians 3:8

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God who has rescued me from very difficult circumstances and You have given me joy these circumstances.  You have given me You Son, the Holy Spirit, my church, my family, brothers and sisters in Christ, etc.  Thank You Jesus.  I am not worth such love.  I worry and I am harsh with my words and actions.  Please forgive me.  Help me turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.