Saturday, December 23, 2017

Who am I, Lord God, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far?

1 Chronicles 17

Who am I, Lord God, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far? v16

Following a dream where God appears to Nathan who relays God's message to David, and how David's son Solomon will build The Temple, David appropriately goes to the Lord in prayer, expressing great humility.

We all need a savior, for we all have sin (Romans 3:23, 1 John 1:18).  While I have yet to meet anyone who does not claim to be without sin, I have met many, including those in my own family, who do not see the need for a savior.  We need a savior not only because of our sin, but also because of the consequences of our sin.  The wages of sin are death (Romans 6:23), which manifests itself in the cycle of sin, shame, guilt, more sin, etc. and ultimately the price of sin is eternal damnation.

James explains this process:

Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death. James 1:15


Shame, guilt, and more sin is inevitable and only God can break this cycle by giving us freedom over both sin and death.  God does this by giving us His Son Jesus who is nailed on the cross - along with all of our sin - so that we have victory over sin and death. 

This is why we need Jesus and it starts with humility - which is why Jesus started the Sermon on the Mount with the following:

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:3

Lord Jesus, please give me humility.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has come to save me - thank You Jesus!  I am in desperate need of a Savior.  My sins are many - including worry.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.