Saturday, January 27, 2018

In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing.

Job 1

In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing. v22

We all know the story of Job, and there are many lessons we can draw from Job.  This overview of Job provides a good starting point.

Right away we see Job losing nearly everything...except his wife.  Yet Job does not curse God nor does he question God's existence, His sovereignty, or His goodness.

On the contrary, Job PRAISES God:

The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the Lord be praised. v21

Job's praise is based on the belief that God provides for all things, we are simply stewards of what He provides, and He is in control and can take away everything, and even in our want we should recognize that God is good and our circumstances are for His glory and our good.  

Easier said than done - but we do have ample scripture to remind us to look at our circumstances and how God views our suffering.

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. James 1:2-3 
 
 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
 
See also posts on suffering.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who is able to provide for all of my needs and cleanse of me my sins.  Thank You Jesus - I would be lost without You!  I am not worth such love because I am often harsh with my words and actions.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.