Tuesday, January 16, 2018

The Passover had not been observed like this in Israel since the days of the prophet Samuel; and none of the kings of Israel had ever celebrated such a Passover as did Josiah, with the priests, the Levites and all Judah and Israel who were there with the people of Jerusalem.

2 Chronicles 35

The Passover had not been observed like this in Israel since the days of the prophet Samuel; and none of the kings of Israel had ever celebrated such a Passover as did Josiah, with the priests, the Levites and all Judah and Israel who were there with the people of Jerusalem. v18

We must remain present to the Lord.  What we find in 2 Chronicles 34-35 is that during the repair of the temple, the Book of the Law was found.  According to the MacAthur Bible Commentary, it is likely that the Book of the Law went missing during the reigns of Ahaz, Manasseh, and Amon - three kings who preceded Josiah (Hezekiah between Ahaz and Manasseh).

With the Book of the Law missing, I am sure it became even more difficult to remain present to God.  Written copies of it were rare and for one to go missing was likely a big deal - one would think it would surely be missed.

As a follow up to yesterday's post, we must find ways to remain present to God.  We must be in God's Word daily in study, reflection, and prayer - scripture memorization is also a good spiritual discipline.  We should maintain a heart of gratitude.  As part of a heart of gratitude, we should - as Josiah (and Hezekiah) does here - take time on special occasions or holidays to celebrate what God has done for His people and for us individually.

This short book - Practice of the Presence of God - is worth a look (see also here).

Ultimately, we are called (see Romans 12) to be a living sacrifice.

Of course, easier said then done - but with God's help all things are possible.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who is with me always and whose words are in my heart.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not worth such a God.  I worry - far too much.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.